Monday, January 28, 2008

steps one and two

In my last post I just talked about step three - that's because I was so impressed with that analogy the presenter gave about turning things over to God's care being like turning your money over to the care of a financial adviser/broker.

The first two steps are, of course, important. Can't get to three if you don't work one and two!

I'm a strong believer in working the steps in order. Exceptions can be made with the 10th step, although I think that people in early sobriety should always check with their sponsors before marching off to make amends. We get so anxious to fix everything!

So of course, step one is so powerful: Not only are we admitting the nature of the problem (powerlessness)and the outcome of that problem (unmanageable lives), but that ever-important "we" is right up at the top.

Lest you should forget that you are not alone, just look at the first step! WE are powerless over alcohol; OUR lives had become unmanageable.

Step two, "came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity," has been taken the wrong way by many an alcoholic, I think. As one of the conference presenters said, "What? You're implying that I'm INSANE!" Well, yeah.. and what's more, even a quick glance at one's life (rather than the searching and moral inventory required later) will show insanity.

My boss is calling for me, so I must cut this short.

No comments: